Alex Ktorides Partner, London
T. +44 (0) 20 7759 1584
The Legal 500 - recommended lawyer in 2016, 2017 and 2018 for Gaming and Betting.Expert speaker at RICS CPD day Lecturer at MBL seminars Author for LexisNexis
University of Hertfordshire
After reading law, politics and philosophy at the University of Hertfordshire, Alex qualified as a solicitor in 1997.
In 2007, Alex went in house, specialising in risk, financial crime and regulation. Alex joined the firm in 2012, before which he was senior counsel at BDO LLP.
Recognised in the Legal 500, Alex advises and supports clients on regulatory issues in sectors including accountancy, legal, property and gaming and on FCA authorisations. He deals with anti-money laundering, sanctions, bribery and corruption, defence to investigations and responding to unauthorised visits and any criminal and/or civil aspects arising. Alex also takes the lead for ethics and risk management functions across Gordon Dadds Group plc, for which he is the MLRO, Head of Legal Practice, and reportable to the board.
Other matters that Alex deals with for clients are financial crime risk management strategies and technology solutions for the client on boarding process and lean process.
- Advising a Dubai based property developer on Proceeds of Crime Act (‘POCA’) exposures arising from the sale of a luxury property
- Advising on a virtual currency issue, including anti-money laundering (‘AML’), and cross-jurisdiction requests for information.
- Advising on AML processes for a major casino operator.
- Acting for a UK law firm and its members on re-structuring and formation of an additional authorised body under the Solicitors Practice Rules (and related).
- Assisting the client to register with the National Crime Agency (‘NCA’) and supporting them through the reporting process.
- Helping a client restrained as a third party under a POCA order and a number of other clients with frozen assets and bank accounts.
- Defending an operator from a regulatory investigation with criminal and civil charges and penalties attached
- Acting for a medical doctor in relation to a Medical Practitioners Tribunal (‘MPT’) hearing
- Financial Conduct Authority (‘FCA’) application for authorisation of a payments processing business UK and Pan-European
- Alternative Investment Fund Managers Directive (‘AIFMD’) applications small business UK FCA regulated
- Supporting client and team in s166 ‘skilled person’ process with FCA and taking lead on remediation
- Defending FCA review for a large impact firm. Putting in interim new governance structure and team.
- Acted as a 166 “skilled person” on appointment of the Gibraltar Financial Services Commission, dealing with a safeguarding issue and money laundering review
- Helped a money transfer business with the FCA’s concerns over its activities and authorisations
- Acted for a start-up tech company to obtain FCA authorisation
- Worked with a property related business to obtain FCA authorisation as an AIFM
- Advised a business on whether its activities fell under the definition of a collective investment scheme
Legal directory quotes
"HANDLES CASES DILIGENTLY AND IMAGINATIVELY"legal 500