London betting and gaming licensing lawyers for casinos and land-based gambling
Our expert team of gaming lawyers includes members of the International Masters of Gaming Lawyers (IMGL) and has a wealth of experience in carrying out licensing work for clients, as well as in-house at large corporations operating casinos and other non-remote gambling establishments including bingo halls, betting offices, adult gaming centres and family entertainment centres.
We also regularly act for clients who operate bars, hotels, pubs and members clubs that are looking to introduce gaming machines and low stake bingo and poker to their establishment and need assistance gaining authorisation. Our expertise also includes securing external smoking areas for gambling establishments.
If you are operating gambling on your premises in Great Britain, you must obtain an operating licence from the Gambling Commission. You will also need to secure personal management licences for key staff responsible for the overall strategy of your gambling operations, financial planning, marketing, IT, security and regulatory compliance. More information on gambling licence applications can be found here.
If you plan to serve alcohol, provide regulated entertainment or late night refreshments in casinos or bingo halls, you will also need to obtain a Premises Licence.
If you already have a licence in place but want to make alterations or amendments to the layout of your premises or your operating hours, you will need to make an application to vary your existing licences.
On occasion, things go wrong and we can provide support if they do. We have a proven record of successfully defending clients against criminal proceedings relating to their licences and representing clients against Section 116 reviews of their operating licence by the Gambling Commission or their Premises Licence by the licensing authority or other interested party.
Our current and previous work includes:
- Advising on and securing an Operating Licence for an international casino operator to enter the UK market and advising on the licensing of casino premises.
- Advising motorway service operators on bringing gambling premises into compliance.
- Advising an adult gaming centre operator on a Gambling Commission review of their operating licence and successfully defending the linked criminal investigation.
- Securing 24 hour gambling and alcohol operation for an estate of 50 casinos.
- Advising a major online sports betting and casino gambling operator on restructuring of their entire business to realign their operations with specific regional risk profiles, then assisting in implementation of the agreed restructure plan.
- Providing consulting services for a number of online and land based gambling operators on AML Risk Assessments, and general AML compliance related services across various jurisdictions.
- Securing approval for the provision of gambling in external secure smoking areas in well over 100 premises.