Licensing lawyers for licence variations and changes to your licence – Ince licensing solicitors
Sometimes in order to realise your vision for your business, you may wish to change the layout of your establishment, change your opening hours or offer additional licencable activities. For changes such as these, a variation to your premises licence may be needed.
There are two types of variations; minor variations and full / major variations.
Minor variations provide a simple and light touch process by which some changes to the licence and/or licensed area can be permitted. These may include small changes to the layout of the premises, reducing (not increasing) licensing hours, the removal of out-of-date conditions, the removal of a licensable activity and various other small changes. Once an application is lodged, a white notice will need to be displayed at the premises for 10 working days and the consultation procedure will take place within this time period in which persons can make representations to the licensing authority. If no objections are received, the licence will be granted by delegated authority.
Full or major variations will include increasing the hours for licensable activities, extending the area for licensable activities or increasing the capacity limits, removing onerous conditions, adding licensable activities and other important changes. Once an application is lodged, a blue notice will need to be displayed at the premises for a period of 28 days. The consultation period takes place within this 28 day period in which persons can make representations to the licensing authority. The application will also need to be advertised in a local newspaper. If no objections are received, the licence will be granted by delegated authority. If objections are received, we will enter into negotiations with any objecting parties, with a view to getting these withdrawn. If objections are not withdrawn, the matter will proceed to a licensing committee hearing and we will assist you throughout the whole process and work with you to achieve the best possible outcome.
Why choose us
We are highly experienced in securing these variations and have supported many clients in doing so. Our team of experts have extensive knowledge of the sector and can offer realistic and effective advice and work with you to achieve your objectives. We can work with you to make sure you have the correct licences in place for your business.
We have engaged with many licensing authorities over the years including the police, environment health and council licencing officers. The benefit of our experience enables us to anticipate the likely approach of these authorities and to prepare applications, as far as possible, in order to achieve the best possible outcome for you.
Examples of our current and previous work includes:
- We acted for Lima Floral in Westminster to vary their premises licence.
- We successfully obtained a licence variation for Blenheim Palace to facilitate outdoor music festivals.
- We acted for BAFTA to secure a variation to their premises licence.
- We represented the Open-Air Theatre in Regent’s Park in relation to its premises licence variation.
- We were able to vary a premises licence to relax restaurant conditions for Arabica, a successful restaurant in Borough Market.
- We obtained a licence variation for a high end Mayfair restaurant, Bombay Bustle, to enable pre-dinner drinks to be consumed in a newly constructed bar, and to enable the restaurant to open outside of Westminster’s core hours.
- We have acted for Midcounties Co-op in varying a series of premises licences when stores are refurbished or where they wish to change the hours they carry out licencable activities. Work undertaken has included both minor and full variations.